LOCATION Salinas, Ecuador
RACE DATE TBC Dec 2024
DISTANCE Middle distance, Sprint distance
Five Reasons to Race Challenge Salinas:
The city of Salinas is located on the Santa Elena peninsula and is renowned as the most important tourist destination in Ecuador. The temperature generally ranges from 17°C to 28°C, rarely going below 15°C or rising above 30°C. And the sea temperature varies between 21°C – 23°C making it perfect for training and racing.
- Chipipe Beach, a welcome stretch of golden sand with calm, clear waters, perfect for the swim course.
- La Loberia, is home to the South American sea lion colony. You will be able to observe these beautiful animals in their natural habitat.
- La Chocolatera, is a well-known and visited place and the most western point of South America where the force of the sea can be felt against the cliffs as it breaks against the first land
- In Salinas you can also enjoy bird watching. In the lagoons of Ecuasal you will be able to see a colony of Chilean Flamingos, egrets, the black-necked stilt, white-cheeked swallow ducks.
- El Faro viewpoint with its iconic lighthouse
About the Local Area
Many of the best beaches on the Pacific Coast of Ecuador are located in or near Salinas. From this resort town, it is easy to find a hotspot for sunbathing, a break for great surf, or miles of sandy beaches simply for beach combing. Salinas is home to delicious seafood restaurants. Whether you love Ecuadorian-style ceviche or langostinos on the grill, the catch of the day is likely to come from the nearby fish market in Libertad, fresh from the Pacific Ocean.
About the Race
The 1.9km swim will be in a sheltered bay without waves or sea current, which will allow a very fast stage.
On the bike, athletes will go to the edge of Santa Elena, an area protected by the Ministry of Environment and where the training schools of the three Armed Forces of Ecuador are also located. 40% of the course is next to the sea and 60% will be through the forest, crossing through Ancón, a place that has more than 100 years of history having drilled the first oil well in the country and where the finest oil in the world is extracted.
The half marathon will head through the lively city streets between the two boardwalks of Salinas.
TBC Dec 2024
Salinas, Ecuador, South America
Middle distance, Sprint distance / Sprint / 10K Run