LOCATION Wanaka, New Zealand
RACE DATE 19 Feb 2022
DISTANCE Middle distance
Five reasons to race Challenge Wanaka:
1. The world’s most scenic middle distance triathlon
2. Tough honest course
3. Bucket list race that combines racing and holidaying in paradise
4. Warm, welcoming Kiwi atmostphere
5. Multi-day triathlon festival with something for all ages and abilities
About the race
World’s most scenic middle distance triathlon is set against the backdrop of the Te Wahipounanmu World Heritage Area in New Zealand’s Southern Alps. CHALLENGEWANAKA is the race of a lifetime and the perfect opportunity to compete and holiday in paradise.
In New Zealand, CHALLENGEWANAKA is the largest triathlon festival, featuring events for all ages and abilities involving over 2,500 participants from top professional to age group athletes from all over the world for a the half distance triathlon or Aquabike on a course that is like no other, including a run which is 75% off-road along the water’s edge. Thousands of spectators line the route and the finish line is in the heart of the Lake Wanaka township with a fun finish line party with music.
New Zealand’s largest triathlon festival has fast grown into a ‘bucket list’ race for athletes from all over the world. The picturesque resort town has plenty of accommodation for all budgets and there’s plenty for family and friends to do when not supporting or competing, ranging from hiking in Mt Aspiring National Park to mountain biking to just lounging by the lake.
But don’t let looks deceive you, CHALLENGEWANAKA features one of the world’s toughest and most honest courses, making it a bucket list event for triathletes of all abilities. Are you up for the challenge?
What makes this event different?
– Firstly, the uniquely kiwi atmosphere, which makes Wanaka and New Zealand’s South Island a wonderful place to race as well as visit.
– Secondly, along with the traditional medal, our athletes are receiving a New Zealand Pounamu (Greenstone). Pounamu is a sacred and unique piece of Aotearoa (New Zealand) and we are proud to be gifting it to all our place getters Individuals and Team athletes. The shape of our Pounamu represents reaching your pinnacle.
– Finally, we are a four day Festival of Triathlon with events for all the family and a triathlon expo for all your triathlon or holiday present needs!
o Thursday – The Puzzling World Intermediate Challenge Event
o Friday – The Puzzling World Junior CHALLENGEWANAKA Event
o Saturday – The CHALLENGEWANAKA Middle Distance
o Sunday – The NZ Secondary School National Championship
19 Feb 2022
Wanaka, New Zealand, Oceania
Middle distance / Corporate / Team / Junior Challenge / Aquabike / Intermediate Challenge / Secondary School Nationals / Secondary School Otago Championships