LOCATION Sanremo, Italy
RACE DATE 25 Sep 2022
DISTANCE Middle distance
Five Reasons to Race Challenge Sanremo:
The heart of the Italian Riviera, Sanremo was founded in Roman times and has been attracting visitors since the mid-1700s and it’s not hard to see why Sanremo is the perfect setting for a triathlon!
- A warm and stable climate throughout the year, perfect for training and racing
- The surrounding landscapes and scenery are unforgettable with iconic promenades, beautiful beaches and medieval hill villages plus endless Italian culture
- The 90km bike course is challenging due to the hilly nature of the region but also spectacular and follows the final descent of the iconic Milan-Sanremo cycle race
- Italian hospitality – what more do we need to say!
- The Italian Riviera is renowned for its beautiful beaches and turquoise waters, perfect for post-race relaxation
About the Local Area
Sanremo is one of the most exclusive locations in the Riviera dei Fiori and, more generally, in Liguria. The famous promenade, the beaches, the historic centre, spectacular surrounding scenery and the famous Italian Music Festival have all contributed to making Sanremo a very popular holiday destination. It is also home to Italy’s most important flower market and the Mediterranean Whale Sanctuary. In addition, its proximity to the border with France is perfect for those who want to visit the French Riviera.
About the Race
The 1.9km swim course takes place in the sea in front of Sanremo in a stretch of water that houses the Cetacean Sanctuary – Pelagos.
The 90km bike ride is particularly tough. Over 1,600 metres in altitude through 10 municipalities. You will travel along the Pedestrian Cycle Track of the Coastal Park of Ponente Ligure, you will tackle the first climbs in the municipalities of Terzorio, Pompeiana and Castellaro, you will continue for a short stretch of plain, a gentle ascent up to the beginning of the 17km climb to Bajardo , finally an exciting descent with the last stretch of the famous Milan-Sanremo.
In contrast, the 21km run is completely flat with an oceanfront course that runs between Sanremo and neighbouring Ospedaletti, including through the 1.7km long Capo Nero Tunnel.
25 Sep 2022
Sanremo, Italy, Europe
Middle distance / Sprint Distance / Junior Challenge