LOCATION Puerto Varas, Chile
RACE DATE 20 Mar 2022
DISTANCE Middle distance
Challenge Puerto Varas
Five Reasons to Race Challenge Puerto Varas:
- One of the top tourism destinations in Chile
- Spectacular course where the Orsorno Volcano meets the majestic Llanquihue Lake
- Lots of places to stay and activities and sights to visit such as kayaking, rafting, fishing, trekking, climbing and sightseeing, in places like Todos Los Santos Lake, Petrohue Falls, or neighbouring Frutillar.
- One loop rolling bike course with breathtaking views followed by a challenging three loop run with great local support
- Set to become a classic on the South American triathlon circuit
About Puerto Varas
Puerto Varas is an ideal destination for those wanting to explore the natural wonders of Chile and is also known as “La ciudad de las rosas” or “the city of roses”.
The city is famous for its German traditions, architecture and amazing food as well as its natural environment and popularity as a tourist destination. It enjoys a scenic location close to mountains, lakes, forests and national parks. It is located 20 kilometres (12 mi) from the city of Puerto Montt on the shore of Llanquihue Lake, the second largest lake in Chile. The conical Osorno Volcano and the snowcapped peaks of Mt Calbuco and Mt Tronador are clearly visible from the lakefront. Puerto Varas is the southernmost of a string of towns on the western shore of Llanquihue Lake that includes Frutillar, Llanquihue and Puerto Octay.
About the Race
The race starts at the calm waters of Lake Llanquihue. The water temperature in March is around 17°C, so it is a comfortable swim with wetsuit. The swim course is a one-loop triangle, with great orientation points in the edges of the lake.
Bike course goes by the shores of the lake, heading east. It is a one loop out-and-back course, and despite its 1000 meters of total climbing, it is a fast rolling hill bike course. Athletes enjoy great views of the lake, and the surrounding mountains such as Osorno Volcano, Mt Calbuco and Mt Tronador.
The run course is three loops, the first part of each loop goes along the lake before heading through the heritage area of downtown Puerto Varas, with a great atmosphere and lots of crowd support.
20 Mar 2022
Puerto Varas, Chile, South America