LOCATION Bled, Slovenia
RACE DATE 17 May 2020
DISTANCE Middle distance
Five reasons to race Challenge Bled:
- Lake Bled’s ancient castle and legendary island, home to a historical church, is the ‚jewel’ of Slovenian tourism. Swimming in the drinking quality crystal clear waters of Lake Bled in the heart of the the Julian Alps will be an unforgettable experience.
- Almost the entire cycling route is located in the famous Triglav National Park with an exceptional course that takes athletes past the beautiful Bohinj Lake, through the forests of Pokljuka and up to the famous World Cup Biathlon Center.
- The dynymic final run around the entire Lake Bled against a fabulous mountain backdrop is simply the icing on the cake.
- The intimacy of the Bled hotels located near the venue and their cuisine will be embedded in the memory of every visitor.
- Bled is located at the foot of the Julian Alps in Northeast Slovenia. It’s less than 50km from the Italy-Austria border, in close proximity to the Brnik Airport and 30 minutes from Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia, one of the most accessible cities in Europe.
Bled is undoubtedly one of Europe’s most stunning destinations, that will captivate visitors the whole year round. With more than 1,000 years of history, an exuberance of natural beauty, breathtaking views in every direction, many exceptional products and excellent services, Bled has grown to become a prominent world sport event location. Whether searching for history, uncovering one of the many local legends, or simply seeking a natural tranquil sanctuary to find your inner peace, Bled is ideal for every visitor. It brings together the traditional and the modern, and it’s a hub for executive education and a cradle of many of the world’s greatest sporting champions.
Description of the race course:
The swim start will take place at the Velika Zaka Rowing finish area where athletes will swim around Lake Bled’s famous island and home to the Church of Mary the Queen. Swimming in crystal-clear waters and a temperature of 18 to 20 degrees is the perfect warm up for the dynamic bike course from Lake Bled to Slovenia’s next tourism hotspot, the Bohinj Lake. The bike route winds through the century old forests of the Triglav National Park on the Pokljuka plateau up to the World Cup Biathlon Center. From Pokljuka, bikers will ride down the descent to the village of Gorje and then return to the rowing center in Bled. The bike course includes around 1100 altitude meters, with beautiful views of the Julian Alps. The run is composed of three loops along the banks of Lake Bled. An amazing atmosphere with an extraordinary scenic backdrop of the mountains, the castle and the Bled island church.
17 May 2020
Bled, Slovenia, Europe